Monday, September 26, 2011

Mind Games

 I love working on a college campus, it keeps me young and definitely helps me stay in touch with popular culture and fashion trends.  This year's newest crop of first year students seem to be ushering in a new era of neon.  The hot pinks and greens of my youth have made a resurgance in new materials that promise less fading and a greater ability to withstand the harsh laundry cycles of the residence hall washing machine (cough..or mom's washer since let's be honest, none of the new freshmen have ever touched a scoop of detergent let alone a dryer sheet.) I love it and can hardly bear to get my hopes up that Jelly Shoes are following close behind.  Gasp! And slouch socks...omg...if only slouch socks would return.  While many of the freshmen look like they stepped straight out of TeenBeat or Cosmo, there are a few that make me shake my head.

These 'others' are the ones that were the impetus for the new game that I play in my head as I walk around campus.  It's called  "Not as cool as you think it is." This new game replaces last year's "Honors Student or Hipster" game.  So far in my campus people watching I have found:

1. Riding the scooter to class...not as cool as you think it is.
2. Wearing volleyball shorts while running...not as cool as you think it is.
3. Wearing same volleyball shorts as classroom attire...not as cool as you think it is.
4. contributed by a police officer friend of mine "Sitting chained to a metal bench puking your guts out...not as cool as you think it is."
5. Flipping those boxers inside out and using body spray as a shower replacement...not as cool as you think it is.
6. Saying "wasssuppppppppp" to your professor....not as cool as you think it is.
7. Uggs + Short Shorts...not weather appropriate OR as cool as you think it is.
8. Horrible 70s style men's tank tops that show a serious excess of armpit and armpit hair...NOT as cool as you think it is.


I am sure that by this time next year this list will have grown exponentially becuse the students become just a little freer with their personalities with the passing of every month.  I'm sure that the newest bad decision is just around the corner....I just hope it's not jelly shoes in January. I might have to add myself to the list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jelly shoes! I found some in a Dollar General store one time and they aren't nearly as cool as they were when I was younger. I wore them for 10 minutes and my feet hurt so bad!!! Good thing they were only $3. lol

I was pretty boring in college. I wore jeans and tshirts! And only ONCE did I wear my pj pants to class and that was because I overslept!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Whew, I'm so glad I read this or I would never have gotten the neon memo!