Thursday, October 6, 2011

All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay

And he'll listen to me all day...

Blogger sometimes aggravates me. First, the pics I uploaded were showing up so large that they were spilling off the 'post' area. Now they're tiny. *SIGH* Oh well. Back to my post. My 25 year old horse died in May of 2010. It was traumatic and awful and horrible and my heart was broken into thousands of tiny little pieces. The wonderful friends I made out at the barn I kept him at for the last year encouraged me to keep coming out and eventually I got the opportunity to ride one particular horse named Dallas regularly. Dallas is the polar opposite of what my Colors was. Colors was a 16 hand lanky and lean Saddlebred with a temper and a high strung personality. Dallas is a *cough* husky *cough* Quarter Horse with a butt that gets cat calls on trail rides and can't be rushed to save his life. I'm fairly sure that where Colors thought "OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS OUT TO GET ME LIFE IS TERRIBLE AND OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT TERRIFYING THING OVER THERE" Dallas thinks " Dohdidohtidoh...mmm grass...hey flower whatsup...dohdidohtidoh oooh sunshine...hey birdie." I rode Colors with English style...Dallas rides western. It's been a great experience riding him and re-learning a discipline that I hadn't touched in over 20 years. My heart is still a little bruised, I don't want to own another horse right now...but it's healed. I have found my center again without the hurting. Very little can lift my spirits like the sight of a setting sun on a chestnut's coat in the autumn light. My husband, I think, is glad that I have this again. He knows it's my 'quiet place' and where I go to find the calm.
This is my calm... enjoy

Dallas and his kind eyes...did I mention that he's trained to give hugs.

Dallas and his friend Buster. serious photoshopping going on here.
Part of the Herd.
Baron. He is the boss. He thinks he's the wildest Arabian stallion in history...but he's beautiful and he takes care of his owner on the trails. He never puts a foot wrong ever.
Why can't I grow highlights like this naturally? I would save so much money...

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry for your loss last year. I was talking to our dog (the English Mastiff) earlier, telling her, "I love you, you big stinkin' dog...but don't tell anyone!" I'm such a softie.

As for Blogger (!!!) Try playing with your template settings. You can expand the size of your blog (as well as your post column, sidebars etc.) so no photo spillage.

Thanks for asking about the soup recipe, I'll post it next week.

Enjoy your weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Again I am so sorry for your loss! I know how much it hurts!

As for this post. I literally laughed out loud. My sister and I always think of how our animals would talk. Tails would have an English accent (I'm not sure why?) Trixie would have talked 100 mph and Molly has a little kid voice like Chip from Beauty & the Beast. I'm glad we're not the only ones who do that!

I'm so happy you are posting again. I missed you!